Keeping an Earth Friendly Family
As a new parent, you know how well your baby picks up on your cues, as well as those from the environment. During this crucial time in your child’s development, positive influences can have an impact that lasts a lifetime. That’s why it’s important to create a world for your baby that is supportive, compassionate, and steeped in the values you care about most, including your commitment to a sustainable future for the planet earth and the humans who inhabit it.
In a world that incentivises careless consumption through mass production and fast fashion, it can be difficult to know how to keep your home and your family earth-friendly, but it’s simpler than it seems! Here are a few easy steps you can take toward a more eco-friendly home and planet for your baby.
How to keep your family earth-friendly
- It starts in the womb. The first environment your baby inhabits is inside your body. Therefore, it’s important to consume all-natural foods to help your baby grow, and to avoid processed or toxic products that might weaken your child’s adaptive development.
- Your breast is best. Some new mothers aren’t able to breastfeed their babies, but if you can do it, it’s your most environmentally friendly option. It can also help you build a strong bond with your child from his or her earliest days.
- Make your own baby food. If breastfeeding isn’t an option for you, you can pay careful attention to the ingredients in the baby food you buy. Better yet, try making your own! You’ll feel better when you know exactly what’s in it - and there’s a good chance your baby will, too.
- Choose the right toys. Very soon in life, your child will start touching everything he or she can get those little hands on. This may drive you nuts, but it’s a good opportunity to help your child develop an affinity with the natural world. The best way to do this is to invest in toys made from wood, cloth, or other natural materials.
- Keep your home clean and green. A clean home is a safe and healthy home, but some cleaning products contain chemicals that can be harmful, toxic, or simply unpleasant for your little one (and for you). When you’re able, make the extra effort to shop for cleaning products that are natural, eco-friendly, and safer for your baby.
- Use high-quality, all-natural vegan baby clothing. It’s the perfect antidote to cheap, throwaway “fast-fashion,” and because it lasts longer, it’s an investment in your child’s future and your community in more ways than one! Check out some great new options right here at Ruby & Poe.